Partners for Healthier Babies
Birthweight is an important indicator of a healthy start to life and is also a reflection of maternal quality of life. Numerous barriers often stand between pregnant women and children and the clinical care and social and economic opportunities they need. Failure to close these gaps in poor birth outcomes has lifelong implications for the health and well-being of children, families, and the nation.
La Porte County infant mortality and low birth weight rates are higher than the state of Indiana and the top U.S. performers. Partners for Healthier Babies, an initiative of HFL, is working to solve this tragedy of preventable baby deaths by establishing and improving impactful strategies for maternal and child health in La Porte County. This coalition is a collaboration between medical providers, public health agencies, nonprofit organizations, parents and community members. Partners for Healthier Babies will help address the social, behavioral, and health risk factors that contribute to infant mortality and low birthweight to make a positive impact on birth outcomes.
Organizations participating in Partners for Healthier Babies:
- Dunebrook, Inc.
- Franciscan Alliance, Maternal Care
- Franciscan Alliance, Physician Network, OB Offices
- Goodwill Industries of Michiana, Inc.
- HealthLinc Community Health Center – La Porte & Michigan City
- Indiana State Health Department
- La Porte County Health Department
- La Porte County Government
- La Porte Hospital, Women’s & Children’s Service Line
- La Porte Physicians, OB Offices
- Minority Health Coalition of La Porte County
- Women’s Care Center